7 Years Since the Passing of RONNIE JAMES DIO & His Legacy Remains!
Posted on: May 16, 2017 @ 12:37 pm by Jö Schüftan
Today in 2010, Ronald James Padavona (A.K.A. RONNIE JAMES DIO) died in Los Angeles, California at the age of 67 after losing his battle with stomach cancer. Six years later, RJD's legacy is intact!
Ronnie will always be remembered not only for being the singer of legendary bands such as DIO, BLACK SABBATH (HEAVEN & HELL) and RAINBOW, but he is also the creator of the "devil horns" that all rockers and fans throw on a daily basis when something rocks! On other words, without RONNIE JAMES DIO, HORNS UP ROCKS! would not exist!
Ronnie James Dio (RIP) was born in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States. His Italian family lived in Portsmouth until the family moved to Cortland, New York early in his life. He initially played the trumpet and French horn and even recorded several singles with various rockabilly bands when he was a boy. When he was in high school, he joined a band called The Vegas Kings, in which he played the bass guitar. He eventually became the lead singer of this band which changed its name to Ronnie & The Rumblers and finally to Ronnie & The Red Caps.
Fast forward to 1967, when Ronnie Dio and the Prophets disbanded in 1967, when he and Prophets guitarist Nick Pantas started a NEW band called the Electric Elves (in 1969 the names was shorten to Elf). Eventually they went on to become an opening act for Deep Purple while recording three albums. Elf was Dio's first groundbreaking band. As we all know, Dio later became part of Rainbow and Black Sabbath (Heaven and Hell). He also fronted his own band Dio, and was part of a slew of musical projects.
Dio died at 7:45 am (CDT) on May 16, 2010, of metastasized stomach cancer.
Here are some facts about the great Ronnie James Dio:
- RJD was an Italian-American Heavy Metal vocalist and songwriter.
- He performed with: Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell, and his band Dio.
- Considered the most powerful singer in Heavy Metal history.
- Ranked as one of the greatest Rock vocalists of all time.
- Credited with popularizing the "devil horns" hand gesture in Metal culture.
- Prior to his death he was collaborating with Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice, on a new Heaven & Hell album, which would have been the following to "The Devil You Know", released on April 28, 2009.
- Dio died of stomach cancer on May 16, 2010.
- One of the last songs he recorded was titled "Metal Will Never Die".
- CRADLE OF FILTH Premiere Lyric Video for "You Will Know The Lion By His Claw" (CRADLE OF FILTH Estrena Video para "You Will Know The Lion By His Claw")
- GWAR Announce NEW Album (GWAR Anuncia un Disco NUEVO)
- GOJIRA Announce Epic Tour with TORCHE & CODE ORANGE!
- ENSLAVED: NEW Album Details Unleashed (Lanza Detalles Acerca de su Disco NUEVO)
- Up The Irons: IRON MAIDEN's Paul Bruce Dickinson Celebrates 59th Birthday!
- TRIVIUM & ARCH ENEMY Announce N. American Tour with WHILE SHE SLEEPS & FIT FOR AN AUTOPSY!